Chapter 3 of Advice to Young Artist in a Postmodern Era: Artists and Teachers

This chapter focuses on the importance of an artist to have a guide or teacher and accept with their trying to teach you. The author says that art cannot be taught, the teacher can help instill and show the importance of self-discipline to succeed in the artist's field of choice. The author says become aware of as many theories as you can. Just because it is something that you don't understand or agree with, you shouldn't ignore it and expand your mind as much as possible.

I was basically self-taught at the guitar, I never really had a guide or a teacher when it came to that. But I was always trying to be around musicians who are better than me or play different styles of music then I do so I can pick their brain and learn a new technique or riff. "Follow every person from whom you can learn anything" (Powys 1969, 85). I would watch hard rock guitarist growing up like Slash, for example, and was always drawn to that kind of playing style. I also liked to see how my step-dad played the banjo and while I still don't care too much for bluegrass music, I was able to pick up some techniques from him that were beneficial. So this chapter should make any artist want to surround themselves with others with more experiences or different perspectives.